A meeting on December 15th, 2020 was held to vote on two bills that were proposed to extend deadlines related to gas piping inspections and carbon monoxide detector installations in commercial spaces. Due to the current situation, a reassessment was required to see how the city can pursue safety while recognizing the reality of this pandemic. With the January 1st, 2020 deadline for Local Law 152 and 191 quickly approaching, the City Council approved these extensions allowing for some flexibility during these challenging times. The new deadlines are as follows:
- Building owners in Community Districts 1, 3, and 10 in all boroughs have until June 30th, 2021 to file their first submissions for Local Law 152.
- If building owners have had their inspections prior to this extension, they are not required to submit the GPS2: Gas Piping System Periodic Inspection Certification form to DOB within 120 or Certifications of Correction within 180 days as previously required. The deadline is June 30th, 2021 for this as well.
- Buildings equipped with fire alarm systems and containing Occupancy Group A-1, A-2, A-3 Group B or Group M have until July 1st, 2021 to comply with the carbon monoxide detector installation as per Local Law 191.
- Carbon monoxide detectors must have built-in sounder bases, transmit a signal to a central supervising station, and comply with 1 RCNY §908-01.
- Carbon monoxide detectors are not required in kitchens in these buildings.
In addition to these extensions, these new bills require DOB to take more effort with community outreach to impact the community. They also direct DOB to pursue more target outreach and engage in community-based organizations to obtain and implement feedback from the public.
You can view the full record of these decisions here.